Monday, June 27, 2011

Copan Ruinas

We successfully made it from Copan to our next destination, Gracias. Due to recent internet troubles, we were not hopeful in regards to the internet we would come across in Gracias, so I do not happen to have my journal with me at the moment which includes all the little things I was supposed to blog about.

I will fill in what I forget a little later, perhaps tomorrow, or for sure by the end of the week.

Copan was a beautiful little town and the people were extremely friendly. We were in Copan for three nights, two full days, I believe. On the first day we walked about 30 minutes to Macaw Mountain, a wonderful bird reserve. More on that when I have my detail book.

On the second day in Copan we went to the see the Copan Ruins. I can try to describe it, but I wouldn´t do it justice. Look for pictures when we return. Nick would be angry if I left this detail out, though: We were the very first people at the Ruins. Ever. We basically discovered it. Or we were just the first people through the gate on Sunday. Either way, it was awesome seeing all the structures without all the people. The only problem was that we had no idea what we were looking at. So, after spending about two hours exploring on our own, we hired a guide to walk us through and explain it all to us. It was fascinating to hear all of the rituals they had, such as killing the person who performed the best at their ball game (sending him to the God´s, apparently). Our tour guide, Antonio Rios, was quite the character with all of his jokes.

Besides all those touristy things, the best thing in Copàn was their licuados, a type of fruit shake (although instead of ice cream, it is made with milk and ice). Banana and chocolate seems to be one of my favorites, though who am I kidding? Any flavor shake is my favorite. I like them so much that, for the first time, I went into a licuado store by myself (impressive, since I´ve been pretty reliant on Nick´s spanish) and orderd my own licuado, in Spanish, by myself! That´s how bad I wanted one.

Today we left Copan and five hours, three buses later we arrived in Gracias. We will be here until Friday. From Wednesday to Thursday we will be climing a mountain right outside of Gracias.

More details once I bring my little journal with me to the internet cafe!

1 comment:

  1. It was great seeing and talking to you tonight! Thanks for doing that! I'm thinking the heat might be getting to Nick though, if he thinks he discovered the ruins...make sure he's drinking lots of water and minimal cerveza. Have a great time hiking up the mountain, you'll be totally prepared for the hike out of the Grand Canyon in August! Can't wait to read more! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete